I’m going to tell you a secret, my marketing strategy is pretty simple… it basically goes like this:
- Post on LinkedIn 1-2 times per week.
- Send out an email every Sunday and post it on my blog sometime in the following couple of weeks.
- Meet people who I find interesting or resonate with in some way.
- Optimise my website for SEO.
- Do good work.
- Be a good person.
- That’s pretty much it.
I barely ever post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, I don’t have TikTok, Pinterest or Snapchat accounts. I don’t run Facebook Ads, Google Ads or Microsoft Ads.
I don’t run a Facebook group. I don’t update Google My Business. I don’t have a podcast or a YouTube channel (yet). I don’t attend any regular networking events, only if it’s something which really interests me.
Do you know why? It’s not because those channels don’t have merit, many of them certainly do and I’ve used them successfully in the past… it’s that they all take time and attention.
Have you ever felt like you’re doing everything but achieving nothing?
I prefer to do a couple of things well and get established in those areas. Saying no to other methods of marketing has been just as important as what I’ve said yes to as it has saved me countless hours and allowed me time to focus on key areas which generate the biggest wins.
If you have more time and resources, then, of course you can do more and be good at more – but for year one of a one-person operation in a B2B market I have found this has worked perfectly for me.
As someone who always likes to move forwards and take on the next challenge, there are certain things I’m looking to add in the near future… but only because I’m feeling like I’ve achieved what I wanted to with my plan above.
My big two I’m currently working on are:
- Until recently I’ve purposely kept my email list small whilst I get into the habit of writing each week and am happy with what I’m producing. Growing this is something I’m going to be putting a big focus on in the not-too-distant future.
- I recently ran an SEO workshop and had it professionally recorded so I could share it online, I’ll be sending out the recording later this week.
I only feel like I’m ready to take these next steps now because I put such focus on doing so few things in the first place. It’s laid a solid foundation for me to now expand into a couple of different areas which I feel weren’t previously open to me in the same way that they are now.
Not doing everything, simply allows you to focus and achieve better results in the areas you choose as being the most effective for you.
If you enjoyed this post, sign up for Strategic Sundays to get the latest one into your inbox every Sunday.
(Unsubscribe anytime, I’ll never share your data with anyone.)